About Plant Metabolism Studies:
Metabolism studies are conducted to determine the nature of residues and the test substance’s metabolic pathways in plants and animals. In addition, confined rotational crop studies can be conducted under field conditions to assess the potential for accumulation and metabolism of soil residue.
Smithers Viscient has the capability to perform plant metabolism and confined rotational crop studies with radiolabeled test substances at dedicated sites in both the US and UK.
- Plant metabolism studies in all crop groups
- (Fruit, Root and leafy vegetables, Cereal/grass crops, Oilseed crops)
- Confined rotational crop studies
- Greenhouse radiolabeled studies (US and UK)
- Outdoor radiolabeled studies (US and UK)
- Formulation preparation (EC, SC, WP, etc.)
- Processing and stability investigations
- Translocation investigations
Test substance application in Wareham, MA:
Smithers Viscient’s Plant and Animal Metabolism Expertise:
Our experts in metabolism studies conduct the in-life phase on site in our greenhouses or in the field with trusted partner cooperators. We work with sponsors to design and plan every detail of a study to best meet the product development and/or regulatory compliance needs. The analytical phase of all metabolism studies is performed in our laboratories by experienced staff using state-of-the-art equipment and analytical techniques. The quantitative and qualitative determination of parent test items and metabolites is primarily undertaken using HPLC with either online or off-line radio detection. Confirmatory analysis in a second contrasting system is routinely undertaken. Elucidating the structure of novel metabolites is often technically challenging and requires the attention of experienced metabolic chemists. Our laboratories contain advanced chromatographic and mass spectrometry equipment,which provide an efficient metabolite profiling and identification service.
- Mass spectrometric detection (LC/MS) for examination of metabolites
- Triple-quardrupole Sciex 4000 QTRAP, full-scan MS, MS/MS, and MS3spectra with high selectivity from true triple quadrupole precursor ion (PI), andneutral loss (NL), and multiple reaction monitoring (MRM) scans.
- Accurate mass Sciex Triple TOF 5600 and 5600+, high resolution and highmass-accuracy MS/MS data using powerful IDA (Information-DependentAcquisition) algorithms and high-resolution, accurate-mass MS and MS/MS.The systems have the latest data interrogation software from Sciex including
- MetabolitePilot and Masterview/Peakview
- Thermo Orbitrap based Q-Exactive High Resolution Accurate Mass (HR/AM)mass spectrometer coupled with the latest Lablogic β-RAM Model 5 forconcurrent radio-profiling. The system utilises polarity switching with eitherdata dependant MS/MS (dd-MS2) or All Ion Fragmentation (AIF) ensuring maximum information for each sample. This coupled with the latest datainterrogation software from Thermo (Compund Discover) and ACD/LabsMetasense platform provides our experts with powerful analytical tools.
Tomato grown to maturity inside a green house in Wareham, MA:
Wheat grown to maturity in the field (subcontractor site in CA):