Smithers Viscient are a specialist CRO in environmental fate, plant and animal metabolism, aquatic and terrestrial ecotoxicology, honeybee and pollinator testing, avian toxicology, residue, analytical, and product chemistry, and regulatory risk assessment.
They have provided Contract Research services such as environmental and consumer safety research, and regulatory services, and testing/analysis to their international clients for over 40 years. Known for their scientific excellence and their commitment to customer service, their name is synonymous with the delivery of innovative solutions, particularly within the crop protection, pharmaceutical, industrial chemical, and the consumer product industries.
Within their business the need has arisen for a Terrestrial Ecotoxicology Expert with a high level of scientific knowledge across NTA’s, NTP’s, Soil Organisms, Pollinators and Microorganisms, as well as hands-on experience of conducting terrestrial studies to take the position as technical lead. Should the successful candidate show interest in people management, this position does also have the possibility to be immediately expanded into divisional, P&L, strategic, and operational management for terrestrial ecotoxicology, or it could be phased in based on the level of existing experience.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, the position will provide technical leadership and direction for the laboratory staff and existing study directors, will be responsible for training, coaching, mentoring and developing existing staff, as well as providing hand-on operational support to the Study Directors and the Laboratory team where required.
You will ensure conformance to technical and quality assurance objectives, and will utilise your skills and knowledge to develop new talent through the company’s training program.
- The ideal candidate from this role should have at least 8 years’ experience in Terrestrial Ecotoxicology, with preferably with NTA’s, NTP’s, Soil Organisms, Pollinators and/or Microorganisms.
- 5 years plus of hands-on laboratory experience and/or study directing experience is essential, as providing technical/operational support to more junior staff would be a necessity.
- Experience of Training, Coaching, Mentoring, and/or developing colleagues would be highly advantageous, but is not essential.
- Possession of good communication skills will be pivotal in this role, to impart experience and knowledge to clients and colleagues. A key objective for this role is up-skilling the team, and dealing with clients when project managing, solving complex problems, or when providing multifaceted solutions.
- The ability to evaluate the knowledge, experience and performance of lab staff would ensure success within this role, particularly when developing work performance standards, scheduling and assigning work, and providing technical leadership wherever necessary.
- As a line manager or a managerial level expert, a good commercial, operational, and financial acumen would be advantageous, but could be trained.
- Having academic experience is essential in this environment, to be successful in this application candidates must have a Science degree, preferably in Biology, Environmental Science or equivalent (i.e. Zoology, Ecotoxicology). Although a PhD/MSc in one of the above mentioned or allied areas would be desirable.
Please apply to Helen.firstname.lastname@example.org, HR Business Partner. Closing date: March 31, 2017