Reporting to the Managing Director, the company is looking to appoint a Director of Ecotoxicology, to direct and supervise a staff dedicated to conducting a broad range of regulated studies.
The Director of Ecotoxicology will provide a range of regulated testing services, including analytical or biological support, primarily for crop protection products, pharmaceuticals and industrial chemicals. The individual is responsible for the management and supervision of activities related to the conduct, analysis, evaluation and reporting of contracted studies whilst liaising with commercial teams across the business to maintain work flows within the department. They will ensure conformance to technical, quality assurance and financial performance objectives, creating and maintaining administrative procedures to attain high standards of data quality and reliability. Further responsibility will be for fiscal management of the department including PL management, capital expenditures, budgeting and forecasting. The role collaborates with other leaders to assure overall facility financial performance, utilizing skills and knowledge to create new customers and technologies, as applicable.
- Provide the necessary personnel and facility resources for the technical program.
- Fiscal responsibilities for the program, including PL management, budgeting, forecasting and developing business cases for capital expenditures.
- Develop new customers and maintains existing customer relationships through delivery of sound science and ensuring excellent customer service.
- Lead and manage a team of scientists.
- Promote the entire company's expertise.
- Lead efforts relative to long-term planning, including initiatives geared toward operational excellence.
- Manage other business activities as they develop, i.e., rebills, POs, etc.
- Manage and problem-solve business issues.
- Provide guidance and support for facility functions (e.g. Safety, Hazardous Waste etc.)
- Knowledgeable and conforms to all relevant safety information, within area of responsibility, including use of specialized safety equipment such as respirators.
Ideal Candidate Specification:
- Ability to lead and influence others.
- Exceptional technical writing skills.
- Exceptional ability to integrate observations into the evaluation process.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills as it relates to technical issues.
- Ability to work at a fast pace, prioritize work assignments for assigned staff and handle stress.
- Comfortable working with standard computer software.
- A graduate degree in an appropriate science field (or equivalent experience) plus 10 or more years’ experience in a relevant area of expertise.
- Must have depth and breadth of technical and budgetary experience to lead and manage a team of scientists in the laboratory as well as promote company expertise among a client base to gain future customers.
- Demonstrated management and supervisor experience mandatory.
- Technical skills in regulated studies is mandatory. Client interaction skills as well as excellent verbal, written and organizational skills.
- Proficient in documentation and procedures required by Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) regulations.
To apply please send a copy of your CV with a covering letter including salary expectations to: Helen Blakey, HR Business Partner, Smithers Viscient Helen.email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 31st March 2017 - Please quote reference no; W0/02
Smithers Viscient is an equal opportunities employer